Desserts don’t always have to be unhealthy or filled with tons of sugar, chocolate or fats. Not that I hate those things, haha. But a play on sweet and salty is always tasty and if you can add some minor health additives to it – what a bonus!
What I’m thinking about is obviously, the one and only strawberry pretzel salad. This treat has surfaced throughout family functions since as long as I can remember – and it has always been a coveted thing for me. When I actually found a simple recipe for it I had to share.
I found this particular recipe through a board on Pinterest. The blog it is from is My Baking Addiction, and it’s a very cute and informational. My favorite part about this recipe is that she made them into individual sizes – which is so awesome!
YIELD: 10 servings
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 7 minutes
1 1/2 cups crushed salted pretzels
4 tablespoons white sugar
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup granulated sugar
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping (Cool Whip), thawed
1 (6 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
2 cups boiling water
1 (16 ounce) package frozen sliced strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the pretzel crumbs, 4 tablespoons sugar and melted butter. Stir with a fork until the butter is fully incorporated into the pretzel crumbs.
3. Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of pretzel crust into the bottom of each of your jars. Press the crumbs gently into the bottom of the jars. Be sure not to pack them in too tightly or the crust will be difficult to eat.
4. Place the jars onto a baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for about 6 minutes. Allow the jars and crust to cool completely before layering in the filling.
5. In a medium bowl, beat the sugar, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spoon filling into a piping bag with a round tip or simply snip the tip of the bag. Evening divide the filling between each jar. Place the jars into the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
6. In a medium bowl, stir together the gelatin mix and boiling water. Stir in frozen strawberries. Place the bowl into the refrigerator for about five minutes. This will allow the gelatin to firm up a bit. Evenly spoon the gelatin between each the jars. Place jars back into the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Serve chilled.