I think I found my new favorite food blog – yup, it’s food porn Wednesday again (or that’s what I’m thinking while I write this – I can’t get enough of these photos). Just Putzing Around The Kitchen blog has such captivating pictures you can almost taste her recipes.
But I picked this particular recipe because there are a lot of back-to-school BBQs, end-of-summer get togethers and last minute dinner parties happening the last couple weeks of August. Strawberries and cream is a traditional food pairing and is oh-so-tasty, so finding a pie version I thought would be perfect for this time of year.
Strawberries and Cream Pie (Adapted from Crumbly Cookie’s recipe)
– 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (About 9 full/long crackers — just throw them in a gallon bag, zip, and crush with a rolling pin.)
– 5 tbsp butter, melted
** Crumbly Cookie’s original recipe called for only 1 block of cream cheese and 1 cup of cream, but that didn’t fill my pie dish all the way and I wanted a really thick/deep-dish pie, so I doubled the recipe.
– 2 8oz blocks of cream cheese, room temperature
– 2 cups heavy cream + 1 tbsp
– 2/3 cups sugar
– 2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 carton strawberries, sliced into thirds or halves
– 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
(1) Preheat oven to 375.
(2) In a small bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs and melted butter until a crumbly, moist mixture forms.
(3) Gently but firmly press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom/sides of a pie dish.
(4) Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
** This is the only baking that you need to do for this recipe, so don’t forget to turn the oven off!
(5) In a medium bowl, use an electric mixture to beat your cream until it holds firm peaks. Set aside.
(6) In a separate, larger bowl, mix cream cheese, vanilla, and sugar until smooth and creamy.
(7) Fold about 1/3 of the whipped cream into your cream cheese mixture to lighten it, then add the rest. Gently fold until evenly incorporated and smooth.
(8) Spoon filling into your cooled pie crust, and spread it out in an even layer.
(9) Layer sliced strawberries in an overlapping rows around the top of the cream.
(10) Melt chocolate + 1 tbsp cream, and stir until smooth and liquid. Drizzle melted chocolate over the top of the strawberries.
(11) Stick the pie in the fridge for a few hours to allow the creamy filling to firm up.
(12) Slice and serve immediately. Enjoy!
** Strawberries go fast, so this won’t keep very long. Try to eat everything within 3-5 days.