It’s getting colder again (20s instead of 40s) and nothing sounds warm and tasty like pie. Apple berry pie. Made in a skillet. Mmmm… Diethood posted a perfect recipe for it and I had to share. It seems pretty easy and oh-so-good. So pull out that skillet and make some pie tonight!
Skillet Apple Berry Pie
- Food Processor
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 sticks of butter, cold
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 medium-sized golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch thick wedges
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 package (12 oz) frozen mixed berries, thawed
- 1 rolled pie crust
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour and salt.
- Add butter and mix until it resembles a coarse meal.
- With the machine running, slowly add water and process until a dough comes together.
- Add more water if dough seems too dry.
- Divide the dough into two equal size balls and flatten into disks.
- Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour before rolling out.
- On a floured surface, roll out only one of the pie crusts; refrigerate the other pie dough for another use, or freeze it.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and salt.
- Add the apples and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large iron skillet over medium heat.
- Mix in the berries and let cook down for 4 minutes.
- Stir in the apples and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a minute or two.
- Roll out the pie crust and lay over the fruit filling, tucking the sides in.
- Brush the top of crust with egg wash.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle the top of crust with cinnamon sugar.
- Place the iron skillet in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and fruit is bubbling.